Monday, May 19, 2008

YA Novels in comic book format:


Over the weekend I read two graphic novels that were adapted from popular YA lit – Vampire Kisses and Avalon High. Both were out from Tokyo Pop – and while I usually hesitate to read reviews while I am formulating my opinions, I couldn't help it in this case. I couldn't help laughing over teen comment boards complaining that neither was long enough - did we ever think there would be a day when this would happen?? If it didn’t make me smile so much, the cynic in me might think it was a sign of the end of days…


The books seem to be classified as “manga,” and I can’t really go along with that. There are some of the stylistic elements – but the layout, structure and overall character development/styles don’t match. Whatever you’d like to call the style, it did work for me though. I don’t think either of the original books/series are suffering for readers, but I think the graphic novels would be good for fans of the books looking for something a little different, and to draw in new readers who might be less intimidated by the length and format. It is also a gentle intro to the format for the graphic novel newbie. (PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE don’t start with those wretchedly illustrated graphic nonfiction/myth series out there… YUCK!)

Vampire Kisses was my least favorite of the two – it seemed to jump a little too much around plot elements of the book series with not enough depth to develop any real attachment to the story or characters. I did enjoy the art – including the stylistic impressions of Raven’s moods and her sharp/sassy goth wardrobe including all of the tiny details that bring her more to life than any of the other elements.

Avalon High existed in the time immediately following the book, including enough elements of the book not to lose new readers, but not so much to make those trying desperately to glean “what next” info get impatient. Again, the book is too short for avid fans wanting more detail and information, but the plot at least stays grounded and feels like a “part one” as opposed to Vampire Kisses, which in parts felt like eavesdropping on a stranger’s conversation.

Both are firmly in the land of upper mid/lower high school appeal – grades 7-10 or so, but fans know no age limits. Ask all of the middle aged librarians swooning over the Edward/Jacob dilemma in the Twilight series if you need confirmation.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is great info to know.