Friday, December 19, 2008

What I Saw and How I Lied



What I Saw and How I Lied by Judy Blundell

I can see why this title won the National Book Award for Young People's Literature. It was a fresh historical fiction (yes... reading back in the blog its not usually my thing, but I LOVE intriguing plots and events "less traveled" than the standard fare) - and maybe it was the cover, because I don't know how a book achieves "film noir" status but it did. (I am sure there is a literary term for this, but film suits the comment - or so says the movie running in my head while I read)

The main character is struggling to figure out who she is, and the foundations she thought her world was built on come crumbling down as she discovers dark things about her beautiful mother and the step-father that she adores. Growing up quickly amid lies, prejudices, deceptions and first love, Evie has all she can handle... then there's a murder thrown in... what's a teenager in a post WWII world to do?

No comments: